Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Halftime Lead Not Enough As Wilmington Women’s Soccer Falls, 3-2, to Holy Family

Halftime Lead Not Enough As Wilmington Women’s Soccer Falls, 3-2, to Holy Family

Leading by a pair at halftime, the Wilmington University women's soccer team dropped a 3-2 decision to Holy Family on Thursday afternoon in Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference action at the WU Athletics Complex.

Playing with 10 players after a red card in the 12th minute, Holy Family (3-3, 2-1 CACC) scored three unanswered goals in the second half to come back and steal a victory from the Wildcats (0-4, 0-2 CACC).

The Wildcats jumped out to a 2-0 lead early in the first half, using the foot of redshirt freshman Loran Wyrough to tally both marks.

In the 12th minute, Wyrough made a run through the back line of the Tigers defense and found herself with the ball inside the box. Free on the keeper, Wyrough was drug down from behind by the Tigers' Jenna Richards who was issued a red card and Wyrough awarded a penalty kick.

Wyrough buried the penalty kick for her second goal of the year to give the Wildcats a 1-0 lead 11:25 into the match. Wyrough quickly made it 2-0 putting home a cross from Chelsea Grace 1:02 later. Grace's ball from the right corner was knocked down at the line by Tiger goalkeeper Stephanie McNesby and Wyrough was there to clean up to give the Wildcats a two goal advantage.

After the halftime break, the Tigers struck early and often, scoring all three goals in a 5:12 span to take the lead, 3-2.

Kimber Kisselback got the scoring started on a misclear by the Wilmington defense, getting the ball on her foot from 15 yards out to beat Wildcat goalkeeper Kierstyn Williams at the 52:08 mark of the game.

Ursula Coyle tied the game for the Tigers 1:24 later on a header at the far post following a corner kick by Kisselback.

The Tigers took the lead for good less than four minutes later as MaryKate Morris blasted home a shot from 12 yards out on a cross by Ursula Coyle and a back pass by Ashley Shackleford.

The Wildcats put the heat on the Tigers late in the contest, outshooting the Tigers 11-7 in the second half. The defense held strong for the Tigers, not allowing any real scoring opportunities for the Wildcats to regain the momentum.

Morris cleared a header by Wilmington's Carin Essex-Arline off the goal line in the 75th minute, keeping the lead in favor of the Tigers with 15:01 remaining on the clock.

Shannon Metzler earned the victory for the Tigers in goal, replacing an injured McNesby at the 48:20 mark of the match. Metzler made two saves to record the win. Williams made three saves for the Wildcats who outshot the Tigers 17-12 for the match.

The Wildcats are back in action on Saturday as they welcome Concordia to the WU Athletics Complex for another CACC matchup. Saturday is Homecoming for Wilmington University with the women's game kicking off a soccer doubleheader at 12 p.m.