Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Holy Family’s First Half Sinks Wilmington Women’s Soccer, 4-2, in CACC Contest

Holy Family’s First Half Sinks Wilmington Women’s Soccer, 4-2, in CACC Contest

Copyright 2015; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. File photo courtesy of James Jones.

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - - Holy Family scored four times in the first half to claim a 4-2 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference victory over the Wilmington University women's soccer team on Wednesday afternoon.

The Wildcats (1-2, 1-1 CACC) tied the game, 1-1, in the 12th minute but the Tigers (2-1, 2-0 CACC) responded with three goals in the remainder of the first 45 minutes. The Wildcats attempted the second half comeback but could only muster one goal to close the gap to 4-2 before the final buzzer.

The Tigers got on the board on the first offensive play of the game, going ahead 1-0 just 29 seconds into the contest.

The teams traded shots on goal in the next eight minutes before the Wildcats' second shot of the match finding the back of the net. Hazal Cetin took a feed from Carin Essex-Arline in the 12th minute and Cetin's shot ricocheted off a Tigers' defender and past the goalkeeper. It was Cetin's first goal as a Wildcat.

It didn't take long for the Tigers to retaliate, as the Tigers took the lead for good with a goal in the 20th minute before adding another in the 25th minute. The final blow of the first half came in the 41st minute, giving the home team the 4-1 lead going into the break.

Wilmington goalkeeper Kierstyn Williams made two saves early in the second half to keep the Wildcats alive. The offense responded by putting their first shot of the half past Tigers' reserve netminder Kacie Booth.

Essex-Arline was the catalyst again, finding a charging Loran Wyrough for a breakaway opportunity and Wyrough buried it for her first goal of the season. But Booth was only called on to make one save for the rest of the match, finishing off the Wildcats, 4-2.

Williams recorded seven saves for the Wildcats while Sienna Smith made two stops in the first half for the Tigers before turning it over to Booth.

The Wildcats remain in CACC play but return to the WU Athletics Complex for their next contest, as they host Felician on Saturday. The women are the first to kick-off as part of a soccer doubleheader, with the first whistle set for 12 p.m.