Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Early Half Goals Extend Wilmington Men’s Soccer’s Winning Streak to Seven Straight with 2-1 Victory at Nyack

Early Half Goals Extend Wilmington Men’s Soccer’s Winning Streak to Seven Straight with 2-1 Victory at Nyack

Copyright 2015; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. File photo of Clifford Nwechefom by James Jones.

NYACK, N.Y. - - A pair of early goals in each half paced the Wilmington University men's soccer team a to a 2-1 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference victory at Nyack on Saturday at Moseley Field.

The Wildcats remained unbeaten in CACC play, 7-0, with the victory as they won their seventh game in a row to improve to 10-1 on the season. Nyack had their two-game winning streak snapped falling to 5-5 overall and 4-2 in the CACC.

The Wildcats got on the board early in the contest, scoring with their first opportunity of the match. Lance Berry's initial shot was blocked before it ever reached the goal, but his rebound opportunity was netted to give the Wildcats the 1-0 lead 3:27 into the match.

From after Berry's goal, the Warriors out shot the Wildcats, 8-5, in the first half.

Frank Hall recorded four saves in the first half, three of which came with the 1-0 lead. But the senior goalkeeper had his scoreless streak snapped at 216 minutes and 18 seconds, as Nyack tied the match, 1-1, with a goal in the 31st minute. He ended up making four saves in the first half.

Out of the halftime break, the Wildcats got on the board quickly again to take the lead. Josh Fawssett and Lance Berry connected with Clifford Nwechefom as the junior forward from Nigeria scored his team leading 10th goal of the season at the 48:37 mark of the match.

The Wildcats kept the pressure on in the second half, out shooting the Warriors, 12-5, in the final 45 minutes, but could only sneak the one goal past Warrior goalie Wiktor Lasota. The Wildcats also edged the Warriors, 6-5, in corners taken for the match.

Hall made the four saves in the first half for the Wildcats before giving way to freshman Vinny Tasca for the second half. Tasca made two stops in the second half to earn his first victory of his collegiate career. Lasota recorded five saves in the loss for the Warriors.

The Wildcats return to the WU Athletics Complex for their next contest, remaining in the CACC when they host Philadelphia on Wednesday. Philadelphia defeated the Wildcats, 1-0, in last year's CACC Tournament Championship game. Wednesday's game is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.