Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Giovanni Marino Scores Late as Wildcats Comeback for 12-11 Win at Chowan

Copyright 2020; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo by Dan Lauletta. February 19, 2020 vs. Roberts Wesleyan.
Copyright 2020; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo by Dan Lauletta. February 19, 2020 vs. Roberts Wesleyan.

MURFREESBORO, N.C. - - Scoring the last four goals of the third quarter helped turn the momentum in favor of the Wilmington University men's lacrosse team on Tuesday, as they came back to defeat Chowan, 12-11, at Hawks Field.

A high scoring second quarter saw Chowan (4-3) take a 9-7 lead into the halftime break, but the Wildcats (4-0) stormed back from a 10-7 deficit to win the third quarter, 4-1, and take an 11-10 lead into the final frame.

Chowan tied the game with 7:28 to play, but Giovanni Marino scored his lone goal of the game at the perfect moment, giving the Wildcats the lead, and the game, with 2:09 showing on the clock.

Back-to-back goals by Keeshawn Bell and Logan Stinson gave the Wildcats an early 2-0 lead, but the Hawks scored the final three goals of the first quarter, all within the final 2:14, to take a 4-2 lead into the second.

Logan Stinson and Jared Wagenhoffer tied the game, 4-4, with back-to-back goals, but Chowan answered with two of their own for the 6-4 lead with 8:42 left. Stinson and Jacob Herman again tied the game, 7-7, with back-to-back goals, but Chowan finished the second quarter by scoring twice, including a man-up goal with 58 second left, to take a 9-7 lead into the break.

Chowan scored just over a minute into the third quarter to take a 10-7 lead, but it was all Wildcats on the scoreboard the rest of the frame. Jacob Herman finished a feed from Keeshawn Bell to start the rally, before back-to-back goals from Logan Stinson tied the match, 10-10, with 8:06 left in the quarter. Then Dalton Ziemba put the Wildcats in front on a man-up goal with 7:35 to play. The Wildcats had seven more shots in the quarter, but couldn't find the back of the net, heading into the fourth with a slim, 11-10, lead.

The Wildcats put six more shots in the stat sheet to start the fourth quarter, but Hawks goalkeeper Slater Bender was up to the task, making three stops. After the third save, Chowan cleared the ball and took it right to goal, scoring to tying the game, 11-11, with 7:28 to play.

Colyn Lyons forced a turnover and the Wildcats went on the attack with three minutes left. Noah Tuohey put a shot on frame, but Bender was there to make the stop. Still with possession, the Wildcats found Giovanni Marino who beat Bender with the shot with 2:09 left.

Despite winning the ensuing faceoff, Chowan was unable to get a shot off the rest of the quarter, as Lyons forced another turnover down the stretch.

Logan Stinson led the Wildcats with five goals while Jacob Herman had two goals and two assists. Marino had the game-winning goal while adding two assists and Dalton Ziemba finished with one goal and one assist. Colyn Lyons had three caused turnovers and three ground balls. Noah Given made 12 stops, including five in the third quarter.

The Wildcats are back in action on Saturday, as they return home for the first time in three games. They will square off against St. Thomas Aquinas at the WU Athletics Complex with a 1:00 p.m. faceoff.