Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Offensive Outburst Gives Wilmington Men’s Soccer 9-1 CACC Victory over Felician

Offensive Outburst Gives Wilmington Men’s Soccer 9-1 CACC Victory over Felician

Copyright 2015; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo by Frank Stallworth.

NEWARK, Del. - - The offense was on full display for the Wilmington University men's soccer team as it defeated Felician, 9-1, in Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference Action on Saturday afternoon at the WU Athletics Complex.

The Wildcats (4-1, 2-0 CACC) scored the most goals in a game since 2011, scoring five in the first half before putting four more into the back of the net in the second half. Felician (1-4, 0-3 CACC) was able to avoid the shutout with a goal in the 88th minute.

Senior Lance Berry and junior Clifford Nwechefom had a hand in the Wildcats' first four goals, each tallying two goals and an assist to give the Wildcats a 4-0 lead. Nwechefom started the scoring in the fourth minute, getting on the end of a flicked on ball from Berry to be in on the Golden Falcons keeper. Nwechefom slotted it home for his fifth of the season.

The next two goals were the Berry show, as he first blasted a shot from 23 yards out to the keeper's right side with an assist from Nwechefom. Berry than made it 3-0 off a free kick, rocketing a shot from 33 yards out off a free kick, beating the keeper to his left for his fifth of the season. Berry gave the Wildcats a 3-0 lead just 17:38 into the match.

Nwechefom wasn't to be outdone by Berry, as he scored his fifth of the season nearly 10 minutes later, getting on the end of a good setup by Joe Boulter and Jamie Burridge. Nwechefom one-timed the cross from Burridge wide open in front of the goalmouth for the 4-0 lead.

Steven O'Connor finished off the half with the first of two goals on Saturday, scoring another long distance shot past the Felician goalkeeper 28:52 into the half.

The scoring continued in the early going of the second half, as Juan Bernal tallied his first of the season in the 52nd minute. Adam Pinder's initial shot was saved, but the ball bounced right to Bernal for the one-time goal from 12 yards out.

O'Connor added his second goal of the match in the 69th minute, getting a ball over the top from Ricardo Villa into the box. The initial shot was stopped, but the ball trickled over the end line for the 7-0 lead.

Pinder earned his way into the scoring column as well, getting on the end of a give-and-go with Josh Fawssett into the 18-yard box, finishing the shot form six-yards out in the 79th minute for his first goal as a Wildcat.

A minute later, Fawssett capped the Wilmington scoring with a direct kick just outside the 18-yard box, beating the keeper to his left side for his second of the season.

The Wildcats outshot the Golden Falcons, 31-5, while also taking more corners, 6-0.

Frank Hall played the first 45 minutes in goal for the Wildcats before turning it over to Vinny Tasca for the second half. Neither Hall nor Tasca recorded a save in the contest.

The Wildcats remain in the CACC for their next four contests and take to the road for their next three overall. The Wildcats are back in action on Tuesday when they head to Holy Family for a 4:00 p.m. start.