Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Second Half Goal Sinks Wilmington Women’s Soccer, 1-0, at Post

Second Half Goal Sinks Wilmington Women’s Soccer, 1-0, at Post

A goal in the 73rd minute of play sent the Wilmington University women's soccer team to its third straight loss, falling to Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference foe Post, 1-0, on Friday afternoon at LaMoy Field.

The Wildcats (2-7, 2-4 CACC) outshot the Eagles (7-2, 6-1 CACC), 6-4, in the first half and held an 8-5 advantage on corner kicks throughout the match, but couldn't solve Post's goalkeepers Laura Morgan and Brittany Carroll.

Wilmington started fast against the Eagles, putting the first three shots of the game on net in the opening 5:05, but Morgan was able to make each stop. Chandler Lages, Kaitlyn Atmore, and Becky Sowers each recorded shots on goal in the opening moments, including the visitors earning three corner kicks in the same span.

Post came out quick in the second half as Wilmington goalkeeper Julia Brown recorded two saves and the Wildcats blocked another Eagle shot in the first 3:33. In all, the Eagles posted four shots in the opening 3:36 of the second half.

The Wildcats fired back with three consecutive shots on goal midway through the second half, as Loran Wyrough, Chelsea Grace, and La'Dae Boykin put shots on frame in the 64th and 65th minutes. Eagle's reserve netminder Carroll made each save, however.

The Eagles broke through off a corner kick in the 73rd minute as Renel Dennis put a ball into the mix, which was headed home by Alison Mrowinski for her first goal of the season 72:30 into the match.

In an attempt to tie the match, the Wildcats recorded three corner kicks in the final 10 minutes, but could only get one shot off by Carin Essex-Arline which was blocked in the 82nd minute.

Brown made four saves in the match for the Wildcats while Morgan recorded four stops in the first half for the Eagles. Carroll came on at halftime and recorded three saves to earn the victory for the home team.

The shots were tied 11-11 for the match, but the Wildcats were able to put more shots on goal, 7-5, in the 90 minutes.

Following two games on the road, the Wildcats return to the WU Athletics Complex for their next CACC contest on Tuesday. Wilmington squares off against Philadelphia at the WU Athletics Complex on Tuesday with a 3:30 p.m. schedule start.