Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Seven Game Win Streak Comes to a Halt for No. 20 Wilmington Men’s Soccer as Philadelphia Claims 1-0 Double Overtime Thriller

Seven Game Win Streak Comes to a Halt for No. 20 Wilmington Men’s Soccer as Philadelphia Claims 1-0 Double Overtime Thriller

Copyright 2015; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo courtesy of James Jones. 

NEWARK, Del. - - A goal in the 107th minute snapped a seven game winning streak for the Wilmington University men's soccer team as Philadelphia stunned the 20th ranked Wildcats, 1-0, in a Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference thriller on Wednesday afternoon at the WU Athletics Complex.

The Wildcats (10-2, 7-1 CACC) out shot the Rams (7-3-3, 5-2-1 CACC), 19-7, for the match and 4-1 in the two overtime periods, but it was the one by the Rams that coast the most damage with 3:37 remaining in the contest.

Wilmington, ranked No. 20 in the latest NSCAA Division II National Poll, hit the cross bar twice in the game, with the second coming in the second overtime period, but the ball wouldn't go in to the back of the net for the home team.

Controlling possession and putting numerous threats together in the overtime periods, the Wildcats only made Philadelphia goalkeeper Ben Sauer come up with one save, and it was a game saver. Following the shot that hit the crossbar in the 103rd minute by Lance Berry, Clifford Nwechefom put a blast on goal but Sauer came up with the save, sprawling to his right to deflect it over the end line.

Unfortunately, that was one of only two saves the Wildcats forced Sauer to make, as the other 17 in the match where either blocked, or missed the net completely.

With the ball in front of his own bench, Cesar Romero chipped the ball over the back line of the Wilmington defense to allow Jordan Lynch to run onto it. Lynch one timed a pass into the box to Jason Rocha, who one-time volleyed a shot to the far post, beating reserve goalkeeper Vinny Tasca for the game-winning goal in the 107th minute.

Nwechefom led the Wildcats with five shots in the game, with one being on goal. Juan Bernal and Berry posted three shots each while Josh Fawssett and Patrick Spagnuolo each tallied two shots.

Starting goalkeeper Frank Hall did not record a save in the contest before leaving due to an injury at the end of the first overtime period. Tasca did not record a save in the game as well.

The Wildcats have an opportunity to get back in the win column with another tough CACC contest on Saturday, as they host Post University at the WU Athletics Complex. The game is the second of a soccer double-header, with the men starting at approximately 2:30 p.m.